It’s Friday, and it may just be the best one we’ve had all year. Why, you ask? Let me count the ways:
Spring break starts today for local schools. The Lower Greenville St Patrick’s Day parade is tomorrow. Daylight Savings Time begins on Sunday (which means summer is officially on its way!). It’s supposed to be in the mid-70s this weekend.
See? Life in Dallas is not too shabby these days.
Here are some favorites from my week…
- Last week, my dear friends Jeremy + Michelle got married. I love this couple for a lot of reasons, but two particularly notable ones are that a) Jeremy was college friends with tons of my Nashville people so there’s always been a cool familiarity with him; b) Michelle and I met on her first “date” with Jeremy—which was just about a year ago, and look where they are now! Like the old saying goes, “when you know, you know.” (Also, if you’re wondering why/how I was on their first date, that’s a story for another time.)
- My college girlfriends and I try to get together for an annual girls trip (a luxury that we will probably enjoy until children come into the picture in a few years).
So naturally, I was a big fan of this article from Refinery 29 on the best trips to take with your friends. I love the idea of trying Iceland one year—a few of my guy friends just made this trip and I’m ridiculously envious of their pictures and stories (they saw the Northern Lights—if that’s not a bucket list item, then I don’t know what is). I’ve been to a few of the cities listed and agree that they would be perfect girls’ trip destinations. Oh, and the venue/hotel they featured in Albuquerque is just as awesome as it sounds—I was there for a wedding a few years back and it was the absolute coolest. Seriously, if a destination wedding is ever in my future, I’d totally get married at Los Poblanos.
- For those who don’t know, San Antonio is the city that I most closely identify with home. I spent my childhood years there and have such a soft spot in my heart for that place. I still miss it to this day. Anyhow, I ran into Central Market the other day to grab a protein bar (breakfast of champions?), and saw these HEB crackers that I used to eat growing up. No joke, I started to get teary-eyed. Something about seeing them reminded me of my 6-year-old self…the spunky, toothless wonder who ran around barefoot in my backyard with a popsicle in one hand and my Madeline doll in the other. And you know what? I really needed to remember how safe and fun life had been—and could be—in that moment. (Surprisingly, the packaging on those Alamo cookies hasn’t changed at all in the last 20 years—weird, yet oddly comforting. Isn’t it sweet when you realize that some things never change?)
- I was walking to my car after youth group this past Wednesday and there was an event going on inside the sanctuary (rare for a Wednesday night). I was struck by the beauty of the stain glass. It’s easy to miss when it’s light outside, but when it’s dark—Oh my, it’s breathtaking! That moment was a small but beautiful gift.
- My friend Kristin and I are heading to NYC on Sunday and we are so excited! We’re planning on eating a lot, sleeping a lot, walking a lot, and, of course, seeing this friend…
Have a beautiful weekend, friends!
Currently listening to “Something Just Like This” by Coldplay + The Chainsmokers